Leveraging Philanthropy and Collaboration
Rather than focusing on specific fields of interest like traditional foundations, the Lodestar Foundation’s goals are to support nonprofits in any social area by encouraging philanthropy, volunteerism, nonprofit collaboration and other business practices. In doing so, we aim to increase the overall positive impact of the social sector.
Our Philanthropic Philosophy
The Lodestar Foundation was created to put into practice a set of five interrelated sequential principles:
- The basic goal of all humans is inner happiness.
- Happiness can only be found by identifying and striving to achieve a meaningful purpose for one's existence.
- One meaningful purpose is to endeavour to help one’s fellow man.
- Although there are countless ways to help, ultimately the ability to help is limited by one’s time, money and other resources.
- By identifying and adopting a mission that is not focused on any specific field of interest and focusing instead on leveraging resources (that is, providing the most help with the most effective and efficient use of resources) and applying those resources to processes that affect the entire social sector, those resources can maximize the impact of helping others and thereby magnify the opportunity to achieve happiness.*
These principles form the basis upon which Lodestar’s mission has been developed.*Of course, there are many ways funders who do focus on one or more fields of interest who can and do maximize their impact and, indeed, Lodestar's mission would be futile if not for the vast majority of funders who support specific social causes.